People today are so fortunate to enjoy the advantages that have been brought by modern technology. New developments in computer usage have provided faster and more reliable ways in connecting with people everywhere. Further, advances in computer equipment have also delivered highly developed systematic techniques on the execution and management of computer related information.
A computer is one of the primary components of Data Storage. Many people do not comprehend much about data storage, moreover appreciate the importance. Here are 12 things you need to know about data storage:
- There are two major categories of computer storage; Primary storage normally known as the memory and is directly accessible to the CPU. Secondary storage also known as external or auxiliary storage, where common form of these storage is the hard disk drives. Usually connected to a computer by a fire-wire cable but have limited capacity and accessibility.
- NAS (Network-attached storage) have gain popularity since they provide a convenient way of sharing data between computers. Basically, it is a storage device that is connected network for it to deliver data access to an amount of varied group clients.
- Indexing is important to help you find what you need amongst the vast amount of data. During the creation of the archive, make sure you put each item in the right file and create sub-headings within main grouping.
- Online storage facilities are ideal for extra security or larger organizations. There are few important factors to seek out for when buying online space to ensure that the data is in complete privacy and without risk of losing your critical information.
- Electronic data storage is executed through a document management system (DMS), a computer system used to store and track documents that is in electronic format. Offsite data storage has vendors or specialized business rent out servers and space t organizations to store the needed electronic data.
- Storage of electronic documents comprises management of those documents in different formats, different locations and also the destruction of those documents, if needed be.
- To avoid complicated data recovery process, you should keep all copies of your files in a safe place preferably on external media.
- You can also store data better and safer through RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks), a way of storing the same data in different places on different disks. The array is reflected in the OS as a single disk though it has two or more disks. Data is recorded by a variety of techniques of data distribution across the disks.
- Most important data that gets stored are HTML pages, embedded images, style-sheets, java scripts and other files that need to be downloaded and executed on the local desktop, or viewed through another application, such as PDF/Flash files.
- Do not store unnecessary data since many companies and individuals do not have a plan on storage, hence tend to capture and store redundant data. Capacity has now become affordable and can store everything and identifying what is valid and what is dated together with database performance has become a problem. Before storing data, scrutinize and select the most dependable source.
- Apply a tiered storage approach where you can save money b only utilizing your fastest storage such as Solid State Drive (SSD), for data that you heavily use and utilize affordable platforms like the cloud. Ensure your systems can use different storage tiers so as the performance requires of an application change, you don’t need to restructure it.
- Thoroughly Survey storage providers as there are many feasible storage solutions in the marketplace that will meet your needs. Always go for the storage provider who has first-rate technical support and also a keen account team. Make a list of everything you want your data protection solution to do, you’d be surprised of getting more services from one stop!
Safe data storage is important and a basic necessity for either personal or company use. if a company loses data, it can lose its own identity and ability to trade until the data has been fully recovered.